B-BBEE Codes of Good Practice – Skills Development Element
Skills Development is one of the compulsory priority elements under the Codes of Good Practice on the B-BBEE scorecard. Skills development is also one of the easiest priority elements to comply with and measures the extent to which companies carry out initiatives designed to develop the competencies of black people internally and externally. The strategic question business should ask is: “Rather than train as a compliance activity, how can we get the training spend earning us maximum B-BBEE points and optimal incentives while at the same time making us more competitive?”
Accredited training programmes carry more weight than non-credit bearing soft skills courses and employers will be able to maximize their points by embarking on learning interventions that are aligned to SAQA qualifications with Learnerships being the best way to bridge the skills gap as well as score highly in the Skills Development category.
This is feasible, and all businesses would want to capitalize on the opportunity to:
- Use Learnerships to develop skills in the industry and communities at large.
- Proactively invest in the skills needed to attract and retain talent.
- Increase employee engagement, grow the business and maintain revenue.
- Implement these programmes cost effectively by taking advantage of all the available tax incentives and grants.
So, if you’re looking for a clever all-rounder solution to your B-BBEE skills development scorecard, get in touch with us today.
Conditions for earning points under the Skills Development Element
- It is important for organisations to take note that a valid WSP (workplace skills plan) and ATR (annual training report) should be submitted and approved by the relevant SETA in order to claim points under the skills category.
- Each programme related to its respective category within the learning programmes matrix, must have sufficient evidence and documentation including but not limited to; proof of registration, agreements, contracts, attendance registers, invoicing / proof of payments and relevant tracking tools.
By engaging with Skills Junction as your training partner, you will be assured of the highest quality of training delivery, national certification for your employees and optimal scorecard points in the skills development and enterprise development categories.
Official Source: Codes of Good Practice on Black Economic Empowerment
Skills Junction is a QCTO and SETA accredited training provider and a Level 1 EME with 100% B-BBEE compliance and 135% procurement recognition.